Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Kyoho Budo



As you may have seen my daughter had some rather large sized grapes in her last bento. I got a couple of questions in my email about these juicy, fat looking grapes so I thought why not do a post on these decadent little globules of juiciness!

Kyoho grapes (Kyohō budō, literally "giant mountain grapes") are a Concord-like grape cross between Campbell and Centennial grape varieties. Like Concord, Kyoho is a slip-skin variety, meaning that the skin is easily separated from the fruit. Kyoho grapes are blackish-purple, or almost black, with large seeds. While the seeds are bitter and the skin is not traditionally eaten, the flesh is juicy with high sugar content and mild acidity.
Kyoho grapes were first produced in 1942 in Shizuoka Prefecture, but were not so named until 1946. They are popular in Japan, China, and Korea for its huge size and very sweet flesh. They are traditionally served peeled as a dessert. Areas of production include Nagano Prefecture, Yamanashi Prefecture, California's Central Valley, and Chile. (Compliments Of Wiki)

So what do they really taste like? Let me explain...The very first taste in your mouth is one of rich sweet wine. The grape is large (about the size of a red globe) but much sweeter. The flesh is exceptionally firm and does not have too much acidity. It all blends very well together in your mouth! I do not eat the skin but this is up to the individual!

I had some of these yummy Kyohos today with my yakisoba, carrots, pear apples & hot black chai tea! Totemo oishi! (Very Yummy)

0 comments: