Sunday, December 9, 2007

FAQ

Q: What exactly is a bento lunch?

A: The literal meaning of bento is "lunch in a box". Bento is an art form in Japan. Japanese women spend a good part of their mornings preparing bento for their families – there is even a sense of competition among mothers to see who can produce the most cute, appetizing, and healthy lunch for their children. Modern Japanese culture virtually revolves around compact cuteness. The variety of designer bento boxes, food liners, wiener and cookie cutters, egg molds, food picks, and other bento-ware used to create these mini-masterpieces are truly amazing!



Q: How do you have time to make bento everyday for 2 kids?

A: The truth is that it really does not take as much time as most think it does. If you get your prep work done the night prior then things in the morning go very smoothly and quickly. Such as already have your fruit cut, cheese cut, vegetables portioned out in containers. Basically whatever it is that you are going to put into the bento make sure you have done as much ahead of time as possible without sacrificing freshness!



Q: What do you do with your scraps?

A: My vege scraps get saved for salads, my cheese scraps get saved for snacks and salads also. My bread scraps get thrown away.



Q: Does a bento box really hold enough food for my child?

A: YES! Absolutely. You will be amazed at how much food you can fit into a bento box. There are many variations and sizes of bento boxes to choose from. Depending on the age and appetite of your child will help determine the right variation and size of bento box you will need.



Q: Why do you make bento for your children versus them eating the school lunch?

A: First of all, I love to cook, I love to do crafty things and I love to make my kids happy! Those three things combined equal BENTOMAKING! Secondly, I can not choose what the school feeds my children and I prefer to make sure that they are getting the freshest, healthiest and tastiest food for lunch everyday. Making bento allows me to have 100% control over what they eat. I always try to make sure the processed foods & sugars are at a minimum.


Q: How long have I been making bento?

A: For about 2 yrs. Though I have only been doing it on a serious level for about 1 year.


Q: How many bento boxes do I have?

A: Not that many as surprising as that may sound it is true. I am picky about the boxes that I use. I tend to like 1 tier boxes best and I use the same same boxes over and over. My daughter has about4 different boxes and my son has 3 different boxes. I also have sandwich boxes and thermal lunch jars as well.


Q: Will you continue to make obento when you return to the states?

A: ABSOLUTELY!

0 comments: