Sunday, November 9, 2008

Food Coloring Options

I have been researching different options for food coloring rather than artificial food coloring. I have come up with some promising information and some great resources for getting natural food coloring!
My favorite site so far is Seelecttea.com Seelects’ Natural Food Colors contain Vegetable and Plant based dyes which are powerful antioxidants and have many health benefits. These antioxidants from fruits and vegetables have been found to be free radical scavengers which may help to prevent cancer, fight heart disease and slow the ageing process.

They have great colors such as Forest Green, Orange, Yellow, Red/Pink and Sky Blue. These colors work well in ice cream mixes, baking, beverages, sauces, snow cones, candy formulas, frostings, coloring milk, cottage cheese, or yogurt. Dilute product at about 1 or 2 drops per pound of finished goods for color. There is no risk of toxicity with this natural colorant at higher levels and use depends on user discretion. These organic, natural food colors are gluten-free and vegan!

I can not wait to get the colors that I ordered and try them out in the kids bentos!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kati,
I'm curious to hear how you like the food colorings. Did you get the water or oil soluble ones? I have 2 of the water soluble ones(strawberry red & blueberry). I do like them but I have discovered that you have to make sure the food is cool before adding them or the color changes. I wonder if the oil soluble ones do the same thing.