Thursday, October 9, 2008

Mentaiko


I have added one more edible to my store and thought I would share it here on my blog since I have no bento pics for today!

Mentaiko is the marinated roe of pollock, and is a common ingredient in Japanese cuisine. Mentaiko originated from myeongran jeot of Korean cuisine and was introduced to Japan after the Second World War. Kawahara Toshio, a Busan-born Japanese, adapted Korean mentaiko to Japanese tastes in Fukuoka in the 1950s. The name is derived from the Korean word for Alaska pollock mentai: myeongtae in Korean) and the Japanese word for "egg", ko. The typical seasoning and flavor is slightly different in Japan.
Mentaiko is made in a variety of flavors and colors and is available at airports and main train stations. It is usually eaten with rice called Onigiri, but is also enjoyed by itself with sake. A common variety is spicy mentaiko.
It is a famous product of the Hakata ward of Fukuoka City. One of the original manufacturers, Fukuya based in Nakasu, is the largest producer of mentaiko. It has to compete with over 150 other producers in Japan because they decided not to take out a patent on the recipe. (Info compliments of Wiki)
The furikake that I have for sale in my store is the spicy flavored Mentaiko!

0 comments: